Enjoy a nutritious and flavorful Italian-inspired pasta dish that's both easy to prepare and light on the stomach. This recipe features spinach and pistachios, which provide a complete plant-based protein source.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp crushed coriander seeds (optional)
2 small garlic cloves, finely cut
1 tsp ginger, skinned & finely grated
1 tbsp capers
¼ or ½ cup back olives, chopped
½ tsp crushed chilli flakes
400g tomatoes, finely chopped (I buy the bottled ones)
Rock salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ cup spinach, chopped
Basil to garnish
2 tbsp pistachios, crushed
Any desired pasta. (In this case, I chose spinach trottole)
Vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Bring water to boil and cook the pasta according to the suggested cooking time.
2. Heat the olive oil and add the cumin seeds and crushed coriander seeds. When the seeds release their aroma, add the chopped onion. After 2 min, add the garlic and ginger.
3. When the onion is translucent, add the capers, olives and red chilli.
4. Let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes in medium flame and add the tomatoes, rock salt and pepper to taste.
5. When the tomatoes are cooked, stir the spinach in the preparation. If needed add a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking liquid.
6. Garnish with pistachios, basil and vegan parmesan.
For Kapha: less pasta and add some more veggies. Another option is to have a smaller portion and top it up with a salad.
For Pitta: avoid making it too pungent and add as much spinach as desired. If the sauce is too acidic, feel free to add a little sugar.
For Vata: avoid making it too pungent or heavy.